A few days ago when it was time to go to bed, I wanted to watch a ‘Friends’ episode in Netflix with my Apple TV 4th Generation (Developer Kit 👍). It’s a nice moment before I close my eyes to sleep deeply 😪
I picked up the remote control and pressed the pad to turn on the Apple TV. Mmm something was wrong. My TV didn’t turn on automatically neither the Apple TV. There were no signals of the Apple TV lights. First I googled a little and I found the Apple website that recommended the following steps:
- Use Settings: […] In my case, it had no sense because I wasn’t able to turn on the Apple TV. Next one.
- Use you remote: Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote:* Hold down the and Menu buttons. Let go when the light on your device flashes. No response from my Apple TV, no matter how much time I was waiting for.
- Unplug your Apple TV: If the Settings menu and your remote don’t restart your device, unplug your Apple TV from power. Wait six seconds, then plug it back in. This option was the which one I really thought it gonna work…
Definitely I wasn’t enough lucky solving this issue. I continued googling and reading posts and the following steps helped me fixing my Apple TV:
- Turn off your TV.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from both ends (TV and Apple TV).
- Unplug power cable from both ends (Apple TV and power point).
- Plug the HDMI cable back in the TV and Apple TV.
- Plug the power cable back in the Apple TV and power point.
- Turn on the TV and select the HDMI input channel (I don’t need to this because Apple TV does it automatically).
- Turn on the Apple TV with your remote control. Press the pad or the buttons on your remote control to turn on the Apple TV.
Et voilà! The Apple TV should turn on and the lights start flashing. That means that the Apple TV is restarting properly:
The restart process could take between 3 and 4 minutes long. If the restart process takes longer or these steps don’t work, you should consider to plug your Apple TV into your Mac or PC and try to restart it with the iTunes app. Here you have the Apple’s guide to restart your Apple TV via iTunes.
I hope that this short tutorial has helped and you are able to enjoy again your Apple TV! 🎉